|Friends of Alewife Reservation (FAR) Join Email List||
Tidelands at Silver Maple Forest - 1884-1890
1883-1890 Famous Uplands Belmont Historical Farm:
Heustis /Hill Farm is Uncovered
added to website November 20, 2007
text below image links added December 1, 2007
Larger versions of above map:
1883-1890 Famous Uplands Belmont Historical Farm: Heustis /Hill Farm is Uncovered
King Charles deeded the Amos Hill Farm to Lydia Ogilby's ancestor, Amos Hill. In recent years a small remnant of that farm in another location continues to furnish fresh fruits and vegetables to Belmont and other town residents.
The Uplands Heustis/Hill 24 acre farm was given to Amos Hill's daughter, Lucy, and is one of the historic landmarks of the town of Belmont, written about by historian Richard Betts, but unknown to most. The highly successful Uplands farm owners of Belmont won medals for their pigs and strawberries, and fed the multitudes of Boston and surrounding towns via a railroad system that went directly from their farm entrance into Fanueil Hall. An old farm road ran across the Uplands north to south, near the farm and connected with the Fitchburg Railroad which went into Boston. The farm and the road should be preserved and are on the DCR's priority list for this type of Massachusetts preservation..
To date, no plaque or recognition has been proposed by anyone.
The rock foundation to the Farm has recently been uncovered by the O'Neill contractor bulldozers.
This early farm history of the region belongs to the local municipalities and to the Boston area as a whole.
We hope that the Mass Historical Commission, and hopefully the Belmont Historical Commission will review this early history of our region.